It's a story that will likely horrify any contractor working in property management: A vacant house in the Boston suburb of Milton was rigged to explode with just the flip of a switch, The Patriot Ledger reports.
According to the report, an electrician who was inspecting the vacant house along with an attorney noticed a patched-up wall section in the closet of an upstairs bedroom. When the wall was opened, they found a two-gallon jug of a ‘liquid accelerant,’ possibly gasoline, hard-wired to the switch.
If someone had flipped the switch, an electric spark likely would have set off the improvised device, according to the report.
The Boston Police Department's bomb squad successfully disarmed the device. Police suspect the device was left there by renters who recently moved out of the house.
These same renters reportedly also poured cement down the drains – an old trick sometimes used by former homeowners who feel they have been wrongfully foreclosed upon.
One neighbor told the Patriot Ledger that she'd never noticed any comings or goings from the house in the five years she's lived on the street. She and others said the home has had a ‘For Sale’ sign in front of it for years.